Art Journal Supplies
I like to keep my supply list limited and the same for all my art journal courses so that once you’ve collected them you’re always ready to get started on the next adventure. Parentheses include specific products I recommend. Of course, substitute what you have available if it's not feasible to purchase these specifically.
- Journal with thick paper (Canson XL Mix Media Pads 9×12)
- Watercolor pencils in a short rainbow of colors (I highly recommend the Inktense brand as they activate with water in a unique way)
- Thick Waterproof Pen (Faber-Castell Pitt Artist Pens “B” Brush Nib in Black) Sharpies work fine too but smell toxic if you’re sensitive. You might toss in the White Sakura Gelly Roll Regular Gel Ink Pen – 0.4 mm as well.
- The collage will require a stack of magazines. (I use my New Yorker subscription.) You might also enjoy collecting patterned papers, book pages, photos, and odds and end images.
- Plus gather from around the house: loose paper, pen, glue, scissors, water.
- Some classes will specifically include painting and for those you’ll need assorted smaller size brushes (Da Vinci Junior Series 303 and 304 – sizes 1, 6, 8 & 10) and acrylic paint in a short rainbow- red, yellow, blue, black, brown & white (Golden Fluid Acrylics in Cadmium Red Medium, Hansa Yellow Medium, Cobalt Turquoise, Raw Umber, Bone Black, & Titanium White.)
- On occasion you may need access to a printer to print out black and white images on plain paper.
I listed some of these specific art materials on: dickblick.com